Go back to normal view
Talk on the Treasures of St Peter's Blackland
This was part of the Calne Music and Arts Festival. The talk was given by Lady Belinda Johnson, a representative of the National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts. The book recording the contents of St Peter's was presented to Lucy Hemmings.
St Peter’s Church dates from at least the 13th Century. There was a church here at the time of the Domesday survey, when it was described as being in very poor condition. The oldest visible part of the church is the chancel which still has its original trussed rafter roof. The bell that tolls at St Peter’s today has done so for over 300 years. Many of the windows have Stained Glass designed by Charles Kempe (1837-1907). Kempe was a devout Christian and a Master of Glass. He operated out of a factory in London, and his influence spread far and wide across the UK (with windows in Gloucester Cathedral) and across North America. At one time the church stood in the heart of a village community. That original farming community has disappeared, ousted by the needs of sheep farming; but the church lies within the lovely setting of Blackland Park. The Parish of Blackland was joined to the Parish of Calne in the 1990′s. Walking or cycling to the Church is the better approach, since car parking is very restricted.
Follow this link to see more about St Peter’s Church: