We are very sorry to announce that after no fewer than 45 years as St Mary’s organist, David Bevan has had to
resign because of ill health. We look forward to marking his retirement in an appropriate way once he is over his
present illness – please pray for his recovery.
Many thanks to Mary P-C for covering whist we plan how best to move forward
Current burial registers are held in each of the churches, St Mary’s, Holy Trinity and St Peter’s.
Past burial registers are held in Wiltshire & Swindon History centre, see:-
Holy Trinity Churchyard is now being maintained by Calne Town Council. The churchyard was closed in 2020. There are grave location maps for the 1896, 1954, 1964 and cremated remains sections. There is limited information for the 1834 section.
Deirdre Aldhous and Stan Anniss will endeavour to assist in answering any family history questions.
St Edmund of Abingdon
Wikipedia will give you a full account of St. Edmund and his place in history! Click here
Below is a picture of 'Perry', the peregrine falcon which sometimes uses St Mary's tower as a perch to look out for lunch! (photo Mark Briscoe)