To make arrangements for a wedding, or to have your Banns of Marriage called, please come to the Church Office, at the end of the footpath to St. Mary's Church, or telephone 01249 816522 (answerphone outside of office hours).You might also find it helpful to read the Church of England’s thoughts on weddings. click here http://www.churchofengland.org/weddings-baptisms-funerals/weddings.aspx to go to the Church of England website.
Some unusual wedding vehicles outside of St Mary's
Who can get married in St. Mary's, St. Peter's or Holy Trinity Churches, Calne?
Everyone lives in a parish, and has a legal right to be married in their parish church if they are legally free to do so.
If you or your partner have been married before please read the leaflet Marriage in Church after a Divorce (the leaflet can be downloaded here). Please telephone the Rector (01249 812340) to make an appointment to discuss your application and talk through the options. A divorce does not necessarily rule out marriage in church. Each case is decided individually.
You may also be married here if you are a regular worshipper at St Mary's, Holy Trinity or St. Peter's Churches and are on the church’s electoral roll.
If you qualify by residence or electoral roll, you need read no further – you have a right to be married at St Mary's, St Peter's or Holy Trinity if you are legally free to marry.
You may still get married in a parish church even if you don’t live in the parish, if you or your fiancé(e) can demonstrate a Qualifying Connection. A person has a Qualifying Connection with a parish if that person:
- Was baptised in the parish. (This does not apply where the baptism formed part of a combined service of baptism or confirmation); or
- Had his or her confirmation entered in a church register book of a church or chapel in the parish; or
- Has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
- Has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
A Parent of that person has at any time during that person’s lifetime:
- Had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
- Habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
A Parent or Grandparent of that person was married in the parish.
If you think you qualify, please come to the Church Office. You will be asked to fill in a form You may want to see the Rector to talk this through and he will help you with it.
Please feel free to talk to the Clergy if you have any questions. They will help you answer them. If it turns out that you still do not qualify for getting married in the parish of Calne and Blackland they will help you find the church where you can.